Friday, February 24, 2012

Can I give you an idea?


A while ago I was at the craft store and I found this little wooden house for about $3.  I couldn't help myself, I brought it home with me.

I had been looking for a little bird house that I could modify in some way to be a home for little wooden peg dolls.  The bird houses are great prices but their tiny round doors are just too small, I knew that if my daughter poked a little doll in there she would never be able to get it out by herself.  This little house seemed to be a good substitute, plus storage!  


I've always wanted to try wood burning, so I finally invested in a wood burning pen.  I found this one at Home Depot for $15.  I've seen them at places like Joanns as well.  I wish I could compare the two in quality, but I know they are about the same price.


I've listed this under tutorials, but there isn't much to tutor really.  First I plugged in the burning pen and while I waited for it to get hot I drew my design on the house with a pencil.  

Next you just have at it.  Practice as you go, it is different than drawing with ink.  It took me quite a while to get used to.  Making fine lines is tough without it looking like connect the dots.  As I went on I decided that I liked making thicker darker lines because they were easier.  This is where I wish I knew the quality difference between different brands.  I still think it turned out okay.



I'd like to give out a safety warning as well, these pens get unbelievably hot.  I waited until after my children were in bed before I pulled it out for this project.  One time while working I accidentally touched my finger with the tip of the pen for half of a second.  It didn't hurt but it left a tiny white dot where it scorched the skin.  I can't imagine what it would do to a little person's hand if they grabbed it by the heated metal.
They could also be a fire hazard, they are meant for burning after all.
Please be careful.

So anyways, like I said I had originally designed this for our little peg family.



Unfortunately they didn't fit quite as expected.
Although they do store nicely in the tiny drawers.


In the end I decided the house better suited these tiny fuzzy bears that you can find at the craft store for under fifty cents.

And they sure are cute.

5 comments:

  1. what that teddy bear is soooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also you are good at burning wood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute! I especially like your clothes line on the side of the house

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved wood burning when I was younger. This brings back some good memories! How creative you are. I love the way you did the little bears house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...è bellissima questa casetta :)))
    Volevo chiederti se prima hai pitturato con il bianco oppure è solo il legno...
    Grazie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...