Thursday, October 10, 2013

Color Block Necklace Tutorial


Hey Everyone!!!
I know I've been invisible from the blog for the past while.  My homework isn't invisible though, nor is the newborn :)
I took the photos for this tutorial a few months ago while my adorable 16 year old sister was visiting.  It was so fun to make jewelry with a friend!  Anyway, I thought this would be a great tutorial because I'll be honest, I'm not a super jewelry wearer.  Silly, I know, because I used to make and sell jewelry... but it's just not something I've felt comfortable wearing myself!  However, I do wear these necklaces.  I just love making them out of different colors and almost always having something that will match my outfit of the day!  And talk about easiest necklaces ever!



So here we go:
Supplies include - string & beads (that's it!)

I purchased string at a local jewelry supply story while I was picking up the beads.  This string is stiff so it holds up to beading well without fraying, although I don't believe it is wax layered.  I measure out about 26 inches of string.  You'll want to hold up the string and sort of try it on.  We are adding on a few extra inches so we have some length to work with at the end as we make the knots.  There will probably be a few inches you'll end up cutting off when finished.


Determine your design.  Typically for a Color Block necklace I choose a larger set of beads for the center of the necklace, frame them with a fun contrasting color, and finish up with tiny seed beads up the sides.  You can check out some of my other designs in the picture at the top of this post.


Once you have chosen your bead layout begin stringing on those seed beads!  As you near the center add on the heavier beads.  Finish up with another layer of seeds.  Once you are close to finishing hold up the necklace and make sure that the sides are even, you may have to add some seed beads to one side so they match up.  Leave a few inches un-beaded at the ends so you can make your knots.


Now for the finishing knots.  I love this necklace because once it's knotted I don't worry about it coming undone!
hold both ends of the necklace string so they are hanging in the same direction
pinch both at the same time
make a loop and pull them through tight up against the beads

Now for the fun part.  Add on another one or two beads!  I like to think of these as my secret color beads because they could be completely random and just hide behind your neck.  Once you've added these on, make your knot again.

See?  Knotted twice, nice and strong.


Tada!  So easy!


Now go use up those outrageous colors!!!

2 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new baby!! :)

    The necklaces are lovely, too. If I weren't buried in halloween costume sewing, I'd run out and get beads right now...but my husband is probably thankful I'm otherwise occupied. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...