Sunday, December 23, 2012

Never Give Up - Ever


How are you guys on keeping your New Year's resolutions?  I think for about four years now I have announced to my husband on New Year's Eve that I would like to give up chocolate for the year.  He raises one of his eyebrows (something I've always wished I could do), and I give up right then and there.  That is about the extent of how good I am at keeping my resolutions every year.  Kinda sad huh?  I've made goals to write books, to start a successful business, and to lose every and all of my character flaws.  It never happens.  I think some of it stems from the idea that I have to make resolutions.  That everyone does.  Like it's a fad.
That bugs me.

But this year, I'm going to do it, and I'm going to do it my way.  I've been feeling the stirrings of the desire for change for a few months now, and this is the perfect time to do it right?
But here's my rule:

No matter how hard it is, now matter how many times I fall down, no matter how bad it hurts, never ever give up.  Even if I never become perfect at it all.

I think that is something that Christ teaches us.  Isn't it wonderful that no matter how many times we make mistakes, He will always be there to help us turn around?  He will never give up on us.  I remember so vividly an experience I had in college.  I was walking home from the testing center, down the hill with the sunset in my eyes, and wanting to burst into tears because I had not taken my studying seriously and I had messed up royally on my exam.  Right when I could have given up, I realized that it wasn't all over yet.  When you fall down you can either stay down or you can get up.
I fell down a lot with my exams, but I knew I could always try again.  Well... okay, you can't always retake exams, but you can always try harder on the next one!

This year I've felt so discouraged with some aspects in my life, especially with my mothering and my well-being.  I say well-being because I'd like to improve myself spiritually, emotionally, and physically. So I know that I probably won't be able to perfect myself for the next few thousand years or so, but I think it's time I start working at it.  The reason I am blogging about this is because I feel like I need support, and maybe if I write out some of my experiences and goals, someone else will be able to find hope and the desire to try harder themselves.  So without further ado, here's my goals for 2013 the rest of my life!  

Make a list of 12 uplifting books to finish by the end of the year.
Read from my scriptures daily and study them.
Wake up early and go to bed early.
Be conscious of what I eat and try to treat my body with respect.
Exercise.
Teach my children Primary songs and scripture stories daily.
Set aside 'school' time to teach my children to read and write and count.
Love my children better.
Hold onto my patience, be easily approachable, speak with gentleness and kindness.
Give into my children's desire for me to be a part of their life more.
Spend less.
Sit at the computer less.
Go through a year of Web Design classes at the local community college and receive a certificate.
Not let myself think too hard on what I lack, but look to the Lord whenever I get depressed.
*Become organized (spend at least a half hour a day tackling some neglected portion of life)

*Please note that this list is subject to change :)

So what do you think?  Are you guys ready!?
What are your goals?

Let's do this together!


3 comments:

  1. wow. that photo is amazing. good luck trying to be on the computer less while going through web design. ha. ha. ha. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a long list! But inspiring to me too- and, beautiful picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many goals, that sometimes (most times) I overwhelm myself... I always over estimate how much time I have and how much energy I have. my main goals are yard work, housework, finish school, start having family home evenings, start having family scripture study, spend time with kids, and paint something...

    I hope you do well on your classes, and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...